Information in English for people from Ukraine

You may be entitled to a temporary residence permit in Sweden. With the permit you have the right to work. Children will get school placement.

You who have fled the war in Ukraine may be entitled to a temporary residence permit in Sweden under the EU Temporary Protection Directive. To apply you need to register at one of the the Swedish Migration Agency’s service centers. You can also register online at the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

Information in Ukrainian about how to apply at the Swedish Migration Agency Länk till annan webbplats.

Accomodation and financial support

If you have an urgent need for food and accommodation you can get help immediatly when you register at the Swedish Migration Agency.

Once you have received your residence permit, you are entitled to housing and financial support from the Swedish Migration Agency, which assigns you accomodation. If you choose to arrange accommodation on your own, you will have to pay the rent yourself.

If you have arranged accomodation on your own, but the situation changes, contact the Swedish Migration Agency. They can help you find new accommodation.

Applying for asylum

You can apply for asylum in Sweden if you are a victim of persecution or at risk of persecution or inhumane treatment in your home country.

Information in English about the process of applying for asylum at the Swedish Migration Agency Länk till annan webbplats.

School in Sweden

Children who live in Sweden have compulsory schooling and the right to education, from pre-school class to year nine. In Upplands Väsby Språk- och mottagningsenheten, the Language and Reception unit, will help you with a school placement.

Visit the Language and Reception unit with your child. Bring identity documents or LMA cards. If you have a vaccination card for your child, bring it. The child is enrolled and you get information about how the school in Sweden works.

The Language and Reception Unit is open for newly arrived families:

  • Tuesdays: 10.00 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 14.00
  • Thursdays: 10.00 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 14.00

Address: Dragonvägen 92, floor 2, 194 70 Upplands Väsby

Working in Sweden

With a residence permit, you who have reached the age of 16 have the right to work in Sweden. If you want support to look for work, you can register with Arbetsförmedlingen, the Swedish Public Employment Service.

Information in Ukranian about how to register at Arbetsförmedlingen Länk till annan webbplats.

Healthcare in Sweden

With a residence permit, you have the right to emergency medical care and maternity care. You can get vaccinated against COVID-19 free of charge. Information about how medical care in Sweden works is available at the website Vårdguiden

Information in Ukranian about healthcare at Länk till annan webbplats.

If you bring pets from Ukraine

If you have your dog, cat or other pet from Ukraine with you, you must report it to the customs staff at the Swedish border. If your animal from Ukraine has not been checked at the border, contact a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Information in Ukranian about pets at Jordbruksverkets website Länk till annan webbplats.

Senast uppdaterad: 12 maj 2022